Cajun Sweet Potato Cottage Pie
Looking for ideas for a sweet potato recipe? Cajun Sweet Potato Cottage Pie is a healthy and wholesome meal with sweet potato and delicious Cajun Lime & Jalapeno Marinade
- 1kg Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 500g – 1kg reduced fat lean mince beef
- 100g frozen peas
- 1-2 onions diced
- 1 large courgette finely sliced or grated
- 1 red pepper without the seeds chopped
- 2-3 carrots finely sliced
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 300ml water
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of Jethro’s Cajun Lime & Jalapeno Marinade.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large pan of boiling water and simmer until tender, drain in a colander for a minute then pop back into the empty saucepan. Add salt and pepper to season, then mash.
- While the sweet potatoes are simmering, heat 1/2 tbsp. of coconut oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the mince and fry until just cooked. Then transfer the mince to a bowl.
- Heat another 1/2 tbsp. of coconut oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, courgette, red pepper and carrots and stir fry for approximately 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the mince beef back into the vegetables. Mix in the tomato puree, water and Cajun Lime & Jalapeno Marinade. Mix. Add 1 tbsp of plain flour to thicken the sauce. Mix well and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat add the frozen peas.
- Empty contents into a large, uncovered, baking dish and top with the mashed sweet potato.
- Bake the cottage pie in a pre heated oven at gas mark 6 (200 degrees) for around 20 minutes and serve.